- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.DownloadPlus is an adware program that connects to a predetermined site and displays pop-ups advertisements.
The files are detected as Adware.DownloadPlus.
This adware program must be manually installed. However, there are several known programs that have Adware.DownloadPlus within them, and that can install it when the program itself is installed.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 07 May 2019 revision 006
- Initial Daily Certified version 22 December 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 07 May 2019 revision 008
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 23 December 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Adware.DownloadPlus is executed, the installer does the following:
- Copies itself into the folder:
Note: %AppData% is a variable. The Adware.DownloadPlus locates the Application Data folder of the currently logged-in user and copies itself to that location. By default, this is C:\Windows\Profiles\<Loged-in User>\Application Data (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\Documents and Settings\<Loged-in User>\Application Data (Windows NT/2000/Windows XP).
- Creates the registry key:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\0x7A69\Message Center
and adds several values to it.
- Creates a shortcut in the Startup folder of the Start menu.
- Attemps to connect to a predetermined site and display pop-up advertisements.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Delete the value that was added to the registry.
- Delete the shortcut from the Startup folder.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.DownloadPlus.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Deleting the value from the registry
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to and delete the key:
- Navigate to the folder:
- Delete the shortcut for Download Plus.
4. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.DownloadPlus, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.