- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.StatBlaster is an adware component, and may be used in partnership with other adware packages.
The files are detected as Adware.StatBlaster.
- Possible interference when shutting down.
- Possible connection via Web browser to ad sites or to statblaster.com.
Most likely downloaded from a site that includes adware, or from Statblaster.com, as part of a "Baseball Fantasy" promotion.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 23 March 2017 revision 037
- Initial Daily Certified version 12 November 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 23 March 2017 revision 041
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 12 November 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Adware.StatBlaster runs, it performs the following actions:
- Attempts to connect to StatBlaster.com for updates.
- Sets or updates the registry key:
and adds subkeys under it.
Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool for Adware.StatBlaster. Use this removal tool first, as it is the easiest way to remove this risk.
The tool can be found here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FXStBlst.exe .
The current version of the tool is 1.01 and will have a digital signature timestamp equivalent to 10/05/2005 07:57 AM PDT.
Note: The date and time displayed will be adjusted to your time zone, if your computer is not set to the Pacific time zone.
It has been reported that a computer with this security risk on it may also have other security risks installed. Symantec recommends that the following steps be carried out:
- Run the Removal Tool.
- Update the definitions by starting the Symantec program and running LiveUpdate.
- Run a full system scan to detect any other security risks on the computer.
- If the scan detects any further security risks, check for removal tools at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security.risks.tools.list.html
- If there are no removal tools for the security risks that are detected, follow the manual removal instructions listed in the risk report.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.StatBlaster.
- Delete the value that was added to the registry.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.StatBlaster, click Delete.
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to the key:
- In the left pane, delete this key.
- Exit the Registry Editor.