- 19 July 1993
- 13 February 2007
Devil's Dance is a memory-resident DOS virus that infects .com files. The virus has a payload that changes the color of fonts.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 19 July 1993
- Latest Rapid Release version 25 October 2017 revision 035
- Initial Daily Certified version 19 July 1993
- Latest Daily Certified version 26 October 2017 revision 003
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 19 July 1993
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair all the files detected as Devil's Dance.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.
2. Scanning for and repairing the infected files
- Start your Symantec antivirus software and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
- For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document, "How to verify that a Symantec corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Devil's Dance, click Repair.