- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Dials a high-cost number using the modem.
Your Symantec antivirus program detects Dialer.DateMake.
Has to be executed manually.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 29 December 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 17 January 2008 revision 033
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 31 December 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Dialer.DateMake is a dialer application used to access certain content or services by dialing a high-cost number.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Close modem connections
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Dialer.DateMake.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. To close modem connections
This risk uses available modems to create an Internet connection, sometimes without any visible signs. In order to successfully remove this threat, ensure that all modem-based Internet connections are disconnected before proceeding. For instructions on how to do this, consult the appropriate Internet service provider, computer manufacturer, or operating system documentation.
3. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program and run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Dialer.DateMake, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.