- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Dialer.LoveX is a dialer program that can be used to access pornographic material by dialing a high-cost number using the modem.
The files are detected as Dialer.LoveX.
The most common installation method for this dialer application is through various Web sites, mainly pornographic in nature.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 19 September 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 17 January 2008 revision 033
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 24 September 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Dialer.LoveX is a dialer program that is used to access pornographic material by dialing a high-cost number.
When this dialer is installed and executed, it displays a window. If you choose to connect, the program dials a high-cost-per-minute phone number and gives you access to pornographic material.
The most common installation method for this dialer is through Web sites that contain pornographic material.
Note: Removing this adware component from the system will likely cause the program that installed it to not function as intended. The uninstaller generally identifies the programs that will not work after uninstallation.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Close modem connections.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Dialer.LoveX.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
2. To close modem connections
This risk uses available modems to create an Internet connection, sometimes without any visible signs. In order to successfully remove this threat, ensure that all modem-based Internet connections are disconnected before proceeding. For instructions on how to do this, consult the appropriate Internet service provider, computer manufacturer, or operating system documentation.
3. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Dialer.LoveX, click Delete.