- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- Systems Affected:
When Dialer.Pornostar is executed and you accept a licensing agreement, the application will attempt to dial a pay phone number.
The existence of files detected as Dialer.Pornostar.
There have been reports that this file has been received through Web sites and email.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 07 May 2019 revision 006
- Initial Daily Certified version 06 October 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 07 May 2019 revision 008
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 08 October 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When this application is executed, a license agreement appears. If you accept the license agreement, the application will call a number with the prefix 709 at a rate of 2.50 Euro per minute, plus tax. The program will also copy itself to the Windows desktop and attempt to contact a Web site.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Close modem connections
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Dialer.Pornostar.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
2. To close modem connections
This risk uses available modems to create an Internet connection, sometimes without any visible signs. In order to successfully remove this threat, ensure that all modem-based Internet connections are disconnected before proceeding. For instructions on how to do this, consult the appropriate Internet service provider, computer manufacturer, or operating system documentation.
3. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Dialer.Pornostar, click Delete.