- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Dialer.Wingoon is a dialer program that can be used to access adult content, by dialing a high-cost number using a modem.
The files are detected as Dialer.Wingoon.
- The link, Live.url, is on the Windows desktop.
The most common installation method of this dialer is through various adult Web sites.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 06 June 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version 17 January 2008 revision 033
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 09 June 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Dialer.Wingoon runs, it performs the following actions:
- Dials a high-cost phone number using the modem.
- Creates Internet Explorer shortcut, Live.url, on the Windows desktop
- Opens a Web page, as the Internet Explorer shortcut, Live.url, specifies.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Close modem connections
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Dialer.Wingoon. Delete the Live.url link.
1. To update the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. To close modem connections
This risk uses available modems to create an Internet connection, sometimes without any visible signs. In order to successfully remove this threat, ensure that all modem-based Internet connections are disconnected before proceeding. For instructions on how to do this, consult the appropriate Internet service provider, computer manufacturer, or operating system documentation.
3. To scan for and delete the files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program, and then run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Dialer.Wingoon, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
- Manually delete the Live.url link from the Windows desktop.