- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.EvidenceScan is an adware component that downloads and displays advertisements.
The presence of the files detected as Adware.EvidenceScan.
This adware program must be manually installed. However, some programs may have Adware.EvidenceScan within them and install it as the program itself is installed.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 11 December 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 28 September 2010 revision 036
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 17 December 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When the installer for this adware is executed, it downloads and runs the file, Escan.exe.
Escan.exe is an adware-enabled program that will access a script on a certain Web page. The script contains advertisements that it displays.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.EvidenceScan.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.EvidenceScan, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file names. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.