- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Dialer.Beweb is a dialer program that can be used to access various Web sites, by dialing a high-cost phone number using the modem. The sites that can be accessed are mostly pornographic.
The files are detected as Dialer.Beweb.
The most common installation method for this dialer program is through various Web sites, mainly pornographic in nature.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 10 November 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 17 January 2008 revision 033
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 12 November 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
This dialer program does not modify any files or registry keys. It may create various icons on the desktop and it adds a connection to dial-up networking.
To remove this dialer program, delete the icons and the main executable.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Close modem connections.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Dialer.Beweb.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. To close modem connections
This risk uses available modems to create an Internet connection, sometimes without any visible signs. In order to successfully remove this threat, ensure that all modem-based Internet connections are disconnected before proceeding. For instructions on how to do this, consult the appropriate Internet service provider, computer manufacturer, or operating system documentation.
3. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Dialer.Beweb, click Delete.