- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
When Joke.BrokenDisk is executed, it displays several message boxes.
The presence of a file on the system is detected as Joke.BrokenDisk.
This joke program spreads as one executable file that must be manually executed.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 18 August 2003 revision 041
- Latest Daily Certified version 26 January 2015 revision 023
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 18 August 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Joke.BrokenDisk is a joke program that, when executed, displays several message boxes written in an Asian language. Once all the messages have been displayed, it displays a counter that counts down from 20 seconds. Once it reaches zero, the joke program terminates.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Joke.BrokenDisk.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
2. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Joke.BrokenDisk, click Delete.