- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- Systems Affected:
Joke.Stupid is a joke program that displays a message. The message box will move away from the cursor if you try to close the message box.
The presence of a message box that keeps moving away from the cursor.
- Files are detected as Joke.Stupid.
Joke.Stupid is usually a stand alone program which requires manual execution.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 23 September 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 17 January 2008 revision 033
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 24 September 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
There are several known variants of Joke.Stupid. They all exhibit the same behaviors, and they only differ in the message box style and the message it displays.
The following are some examples of the messages displayed:
You are an idiot!
You are a stupid jerk!
You are really ugly!
You are a cockroach!
You are so stupid!!
You are just plain old dumb!
You smell like a trash can!U
You suck! Idiot!U
Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Joke.Stupid.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
2. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
- For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document, "How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Joke.Stupid, click Delete.